Shapes, creativity, inventive experimentation and fabrics have always been part of Elena Trevisan’s life. As she grew up in an artistic environment, with a talented grandmother, it came as no surprise when she decided to study architecture.
Design and architecture have been both her constant obsessions and passions: she was only 6 years old when she fell in love with a rocking chair, designed by Franco Albini.
Elena finds her inspiration in travelling, observing contemporary architecture, and studying the way artists develop unconventional approaches to materials.
Her work is characterized by a strong sense of pure form mixed with a never-ending curiosity for production techniques and crafts. By approaching creativity in a cross-disciplinary way, she makes her designs emerge as architectural objects permeated with visual and graphic arts.
Prototyping and manufacturing are crucial stages in her design process. It is by tightly interacting with artisans that Elena finalizes her aesthetic and vision, and achieves the perfect expression of the idea that drives the project.
Her design process is a lot about composing the contrasts: old and new, open and closed, light and heavy, figurative and non-figurative. She likes to explore in-between spaces and see how form and materials meet each other. She has remarkable attention to details to stir people’s emotions and inspire their mind’s eye, because, as she says, “When a design captures the observer’s imagination, it makes the observer look at the design twice”.
Elena Trevisan is an Italian designer. She lives and works in Venice. She studied architecture at IUAV University of Venice, where she earned a PhD in Architectural Composition in 2015, a BA in architecture and an MA in landscape architecture. Her design has been exhibited in Como (Italy), Milan, Singapore, Riihimaki (Finland), La Granja (Spain), Marinha Grande (Portugal) and Murano (Italy).
AWARDS AND NOMINATIONS:
- 2019: Venetian Smart Lighting Award, shortlisted, QUEEN outdoor lamp.
- 2018: Silver A’ Design Award, LAGUNA modular sofa.
- 2017: Industart International Industrial Design Award, shortlisted, LAGUNA modular sofa.
- 2016: Red Dot Design Award, WHISKEY armchair.
- 2015: Industart International Industrial Design Award, VERONESE RELOADED vase.
- 2015: Targa De Fiore, U.I.D, honorable mention, PhD Thesis “Intreccio, struttura e vertigine dello sguardo: tettonica, decorazione e attualità della stereotomia nella Cattedrale di Murcia”.
- 2014: Ege European Glass Experience, ELLIPSE vase.